Friday, July 25, 2008

Anniversary!

Michael Reads the Bible is two years old today. "I'm guessing it will take more than a year, all told," I said, and it turns out I was right.

The project has turned out a lot different than I thought it would be. I'm working at a much finer level of detail than I expected, and perhaps not coincidentally getting a lot more out of the process than I expected. Too, I've been surprised by how quiet things have been. When I started the project, I imagined that there would be LOTS of Bible-reading blogs around, and that mine would attract a loud cluster of mostly very negative commenters and detractors. Instead, we've long since settled into an extremely modest and steady nine or ten readers a day, and the few comments have on the whole been very peaceful and respectful.

If a little lonely, though, the process has been continually rewarding. The Bible is, as I say almost every week, full of surprises, and its a rare session when I find in it what I expect. There's a lot of strange logic and a very alien cultural perspective on the world, and yet human behavior is very recognizably on parade, often at its sordid worst. Reading the Bible is like travelling to a faraway country where they think differently, act differently, and have created a different way of living in the world, and yet you recognize your shared humanity through and through.

Current expected completion date: Fall, 2012.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary!

I, for one, will be sticking with the blog until 2012 (or however long it takes). Without getting all Stephen Greenblatt on you, the possibility of getting glimpses into other lives is (as we've talked about in other contexts) one of the things I find most compelling about any reading, and, even better, you come at it from a different perspective and notice different things than I do, so I can be enriched not just about the Bible but about reading practices (not to mention the way a friend thinks, which is nothing to sneeze at).

Here's to as many more years of MRtB as it takes! [drains glass of Diet Coke]

gl. said...

happy anniversary, mrtb! *clinks glass of mountain dew w/ jennifer*